Monday, August 21, 2006

You ever get that feeling that the music director has picked hymns just to piss you off?

This is a rare problem at A Certain Church, because the music director is a sensible man, who won't make us sing some of the funkier, syncopated songs out of Lift Every Voice and Sing II because he realises what a train wreck the congregation will make out of it. Oddly enough, this also applies to #6 in LEVAS II, which is Lift Every Voice and Sing.

Well, we had a combined event this weekend, and the other parish got to pick the music.

Shine, Jesus, Shine was the closing hymn.

I do not sing Shine, Jesus, Shine.

I just don't. And you can't make me.

5 Comments:

At 22 August, 2006, Blogger Fr. Aaron Orear said...

I hear you. I will not sing Womb of Life and Source of Being. No issue with the actual theology, but the images just make me think of granola and women calling one another "goddess". Yeesh.

 
At 24 August, 2006, Blogger Sam Charles Norton said...

I once said similar things about Shine Jesus Shine to a staunchly Anglo-Catholic fellow priest. His response? "Can you imagine a more perfect verse to sing at benediction?"

 
At 24 August, 2006, Blogger Mary Sue said...

A better verse to sing at Benediction? "O for a thousand tongues to sing". Or "How Great Thou Art". Or "Joy to the World, all the boys and girls now. Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, Joy to you and me."

The problem with SJS is it needs a balanced, trained choir, not just a lot of melodists who strain at the higher registers, and to be taken at faster than 30 MPH. And then taken out back and shot. It's up there with Kum Bah Yah.

 
At 26 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such snobbery! I say this, of course, as a snob myself.

Having fled Evangelicaland for sanctuary in the TEC, my natural "draw" is to very high church, liturgical worship. However, I'm not put off by the use of more modern worship songs except that, when used in most Episcopal churches, contemporary seems to have ended some time in the mid-80s, so the effect, to my snobby mind, is a bit quaint.

 
At 04 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know I enjoy your nlog. Have you considered using the RSS feature of blogger so people can add your blog feed to their readers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home