Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Another (One-Sided) Conversation with God

What the EVER LOVING HELL was that?
No, seriously.
What were You thinking, You stupidhead?

These are children. You're supposed to love the little children. You're supposed to take care of them! You're supposed to watch over them!

Yes, well, I guess it is true there were people nearby who helped-- but why did You put these kids in this situation to begin with?

And teachers, oy, teachers are the ones who have to stand in the breach, between hockey and soccer and ballet and music lessons, teachers spend more time with these children than their own parents. Then they're the ones who are hit just as hard when something like this happens, and if they're lucky, they've got a support group who can take them out for beer and burgers and let them cry about it (and You made my best friend CRY!) and then, when I'm sitting there and the tears are all gone, what am I supposed to say?

Yes, I know what I said, "Let's go get chocolate." I don't think that was what my best friend wanted or needed to hear right then. I think what my best friend wanted and needed to hear right then was something profound, something that could make it all better. Something that You said. I would have even let You speak through me. You know I didn't know what to say. Ergo, chocolate.

And today, my best friend has to walk right back into that classroom. I tell You what, You'd better be there with my best friend, and you'd better be with every one of those children, and with every other teacher and administrator and social service worker and parent.

Or else. Amen.


God our Father, you see your children growing up in an
unsteady and confusing world: Show them that your ways
give more life than the ways of the world, and that following
you is better than chasing after selfish goals. Help them to
take failure, not as a measure of their worth, but as a chance
for a new start. Give them strength to hold their faith in you,
and to keep alive their joy in your creation; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home