Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What I'm reading right now.

When I say "right now", I don't mean I've got all of them open in my hands at the same time, but I'm reading them like an ADD child, i.e., when I notice one, I pick it up, read a few pages, put it down, and get distracted by another one.

The Book of Night With Moon by Diane Duane: She wrote this whole series for young adults about wizards living among us. This is one of the two adult novels in the series, and they're about cats who are wizards.

The Little Flowers of St. Francis translated by Raphael Brown: I trained for a while as a historian, and the rules were to always go to the source material. Well, this is as close to the source as we can get, considering the Man Himself was basically illiterate and had these adventures 800 years ago.

The Diamond Age, or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson: This novel becomes more frightening prophetic every year. Its main themes are education changing lives, technology and history don't have the answer to everything, and many people are needed to raise a child. There's also an army of a quarter of a million Chinese girls.

Vestry Handbook ECUSA: Interesting reading. It's about half how to deal with budgets, and half how to prayerfully figure out where your parish should go. The chapter on the vestry member's prayer life reminds me a lot of various associate/oblate rules.

To Live as Francis Lived by Foley, Weigel, and Normile: I'm trying to do a book designed for 52 weeks of study in a month. It's basically the main textbook for formation in the Secular Franciscan Order, which is Roman Catholic. I'm reading it for my own edification and possible potential just maybe I'm not sure maybe I will join the novitiate of the Third Order of St. Francis, which is the Episcopal side.

Francis: The Journey and the Dream by Murray Bodo: It's referenced a lot in the To Live... book, and it's got a lot of the stories from Little Flowers, but it's got a lot of commentary and is a whole lot more fluffy bunny and politically correct than the original stories.

Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair: A woman who's not just a spaceship capitan, but also gots her some 'magical' powers gets knocked 300 years into her future, where she discovers that, in her absence, the people she'd been assigned to help bring into the Space Age have made her a goddess. Hijinks ensue.

Milk and Honey by Faye Kellerman: One of the Rina and Peter Decker novels. Peter's an LA Homicide detective, Rina's an Orthodox Jewish housewife/bookkeeper. The early books cover their courtship and his struggle with converting, and there's usually a murder or kidnapping or something too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home