Sunday, June 11, 2006

Trinity Sunday and General Convention


I have always found this Lego Trinity set speak to me, as only the best Christian art can. And no, I'm not saying this is the best Christian art, worlds from it (and yes, I understand it's not *really* the Holy Ghost, it's the Holy Spirit). Because you know what this says to me? Don't take yourself and your religion so seriously.

I haven't been around a lot lately. I'm working through some real life crazy business, ingluding wondering what purpose it serves for me to write under a pseudonym here. Yes, I'm having trouble keeping my split personality straight, whodathunk it?

In other news that seems to be the only news that the Episcopal blogosphere can talk about, it's General Convention. I'm so sick of it already. There's this class my parish is offering and I've been taking, on the history and the development of the liturgy. Today we made it up to 313 CE, with Constantine. And in that scant 300 years, there'd been two schisms already, and several heresies floating around.

You know what I'm learning from this? I'm learning that what Fr. Andrew Greely says is true: if God wanted the Church to be perfect, He would have left it in the hands of the angels, not us mere humans.

And another thing that I'm reminded of: The Church will endure.

God our Wisdom, who eternally makes all things new:
encourage by your Holy Spirit
those who prepare for General Convention to labor together
for the building up of your world and your Church;
counsel them when to act and when to wait;
turn their hearts always toward those in greatest need,
and away from their own preoccupations and fears;
help them never forget that love and mercy are your greatest gifts
given us all to offer one another
as we see in them Jesus Christ who alone
is our joy, our way, our truth, and our life. Amen.

2 Comments:

At 14 June, 2006, Blogger Mary Sue said...

Best. T-Shirt. EVER!

 
At 14 June, 2006, Blogger Stephen said...

Yeah. Really, tyler, what are you waiting for?

Years ago, i made a shrink wrap T-shirt. You know. It said something like:

No warranty of suitability for any purpose is expressed or implied.

I'd wear it. People asked about it. But i suck at sales.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home