Monday, February 27, 2006

Pre-Lent Meditation 2: Now with 80% more generalizations!

The Catholics are all giving up chocolate.

The Episcopalians are running around, having just figured out it was almost Lent, and trying to decide if they're going to give something up, take something on, or just pretend it's not happening.

The Orthodox are wondering what all the fuss is about, and stocking up on shrimp.

What am I doing? A little of this, a little of that.

That's my fancy way of saying "I'm not sure yet."

I'm one of those people who's very attracted to long lists of definite do's and don'ts. The more stringent, the better. I'm also one of those people who has about zero discipline. So I'll make these huge plans about how I'm going to pray for three hours every day, eat no animal products, watch no TV... and that'll last about ten minutes.

Lent, for me, is not just a short period to give something up, and then go right back to that habit as soon as Easter's here. I'd like my Lent to be something that continues to enrich my spiritual life for years.

(Am I the only one who thinks 'enrich my spiritual life' sounds like I'm going to add mulch?)


Let's see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home